For fashion’s biggest night of the year, A-listers donned their most daring looks at last night’s Met Gala in New York City, celebrating and honoring the signature couture fashions of designer Charles James. Starlet Gabrielle Union wore couture from head-to-toe including a hairstyle resembling that of a crown. Celebrity hairstylist, Larry Sims created this romantically structured look for Gabrielle, and here’s how you can get it at home!
2. Larry then parted Gabrielle’s hair across the crown of her head (think: top of the left ear to the top of the right ear) into two sections. At the part, he brushed the front section towards her face covering her eyes, and the second section towards the back of her head in its natural growth pattern.
3. To begin the crown, Larry started the base of the braid about 1-2 inches above her left ear, and then French braided 1-2 inch sections of hair at a time from the surrounding area.
4. Once he finished the front section of the French braid, he secured it in place with bobby pins and continued onto the back section, guiding the braid in the same direction to create the illusion of a crown.
5. After the second section was braided around the back of her head, he then secured into place with additional bobby pins. He then gently pulled the sides of the braid around the entire head to create a larger, more defined crown.
6. Larry finished her hair off by spritzing with got2b rise ‘n shine luminous lift ($7.49, drugstores) to impart body + gloss with added high hold to keep her heavenly crown in place.