Acne affects up to 50 million Americans annually and is one of the most common skin conditions in the US. June is Acne Awareness Month and ZO Skin Health offers a variety of solutions for all your acne concerns. Please find some tips from Dr. Obagi below!
- CLEANSE: Cleanse your skin in the morning and in the evening to help remove sebum. Avoid hot water as it dries out the skin and increases oil gland activity. Wash your skin for one full minute and follow it up with a toner or astringent to restore the pH and reduce surface bacteria – Dr. Obagi recommends ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Cleanser for oily and acne-prone skin.
- EXFOLIATE: A buildup of dead cells, oil and debris results in clogged pores. When oil and debris mix with bacteria inside the pores, the pore becomes inflamed and results in papules or cysts. Keep your pores open, allowing oil and dead cells to exit the pore naturally. The best way to keep the pores clean is to exfoliate. Magnesium crystals (such as those found in Exfoliating Polish by ZO Skin Health) are perfect for exfoliating the skin as they are round, so they do not tear the skin, yet they do the job in clearing off dead skin cells and removing surface debris.
- OIL CONTROL: Control oiliness and breakouts by using a product with salicylic acid and glycolic acid to exfoliate the skin cells and reduce oiliness. ZO Skin Health TE pads combines these two ingredients to work together to control oiliness and breakouts. Generally, having one without the other just isn’t enough for acne prone individuals.
- DIET: Avoid Fatty, oily foods and diets high in refined sugar and carbohydrates as they can trigger acne flare-ups. Salty, iodized, or spicy foods can also be a problem for some people.
- WATER: Drink plenty of water as its necessary to keep the skin hydrated. It also helps flush out toxins from the body.
- COSMETICS: Synthetic oils can still cause or aggravate acne. Acne caused by cosmetics will frequently appear as whiteheads over the cheeks, forehead, and chin. Mineral make-up is generally recommended, as it contains natural ingredients that do not cause irritation or harm the skin.
- MOISTURIZERS: Moisturizers result in a build-up of dead cells, decreased cellular exfoliation, and damage to the skin. Moisturizers are only recommended under certain circumstances, and only a functional moisturizer (one with active ingredients that stimulate cellular activity) is recommended, like Ommerse Daily Renewal Crème or Ommerse Overnight Recovery, from ZO Skin Health.
- STRESS: De-stress. When you are stressed, stress hormones become imbalanced and a variety of health problems may occur. You may not be able to avoid stress, but you can manage it with exercise, meditation, and personal down-time.