Yesterday I blogged about Rihanna’s beautiful blue eye makeup. In particular her gorgeous blue eyeliner. But Rihanna has also worn blue eyeshadow superbly. Blue eyeshadow can be absolutely gorgeous on all eye colors, provided of course the eyeshadow is applied correctly and the right color of blue is chosen. More often than not, we see celebrities in bad makeup. But not Rihanna, she keeps her look young, trendy and beautiful. Rihanna’s makeup choices are an inspiration to all women, young and old. Maybe this blue makeup trend will cause you to try something new with your makeup routine!
Back to Rihanna…
At the Costume Instutute Gala in May, Rihanna wore a blinging D & G pantsuit and her blue eyeshadow made her beautiful eyes pop.
A few words of advice about wearing blue eyeshadow.
1. If you are new with blue, stick to navy. Navy is a pure blue with the neutral of black mixed in, so you can’t go wrong, no matter what your eye color.
2. Try a blue with a bit of sheen or irridescence. This will make your eyes sparkle.
3. Do not apply the color above the crease. You will certainly look like a clown with blue eyeshadow higher than your crease. Keep the blue on your lid. Leave the extreme blue application to fashion magazine shoots and the runway.
4. Blend, blend, blend. Use a fluffy eyeshadow brush to blend until you see no line of demarcation with your blue eyeshadow.
5. Apply your shadow first. Follow with mascara and liner. Apply you foundation and concealer last. If you have fallouot from your blue eyeshadow you can clean it up before you apply your foundation.
6. For a smokey look, rim your eyes under with a blue pencil and smudge with your blue eyeshadow. This will make your eyes pop for evening. This is similar to the look Rihanna has above.
Some great blue eyeshadows, my top 5:
1. Urban Decay Goddess —midnight blue with electric blue sparkles $16
2. NARS Tropic Lush, silver-flecked teal – a precise image of the ocean’s waves $22
3. MAC Pigment in Deep Blue Green $19.50 NOTE: This is a loose powder, so extreme care is needed when applying!
4. Dior 5-Colour Designer All-In-One Artistry Palette – Navy Design $58 This Dior blue eyeshadow palette definitely falls into the Ka-ching bling category, but it’s well worth it.
– Creamy, blendable base
– Versatile iridescent eyeshadow
– Satiny contouring shade
– Shimmering highlighter
– Sultry, intensely matte eyeliner
– 2 double-ended applicators
– Technique cheat sheet of tips from Dior’s top makeup artists
Shades include: blue denim, sheer glittering pale blue, light periwinkle, white shimmer, matte navy cream.
5. Neutrogena Nourishing Eye Quad, Blue Smoke $9.99 So on the opposite end of the spectrum of Dior is this Neutrogena blue eyeshadow quad that even has SPF 15 protection. This Neutrogena Blue eyeshadow quad is a beauty budget bling buy.
Last words on blue eyeshadow, take a look at Rihanna.
When your eyeshadow is the focus, keep the rest of your face soft. Notice Rihanna’s nude lips and neutral blush. This makeup application allows her eyes to be the focus point. Rihanna is a prime example of blue eye makeup done right.