Not so long ago one of my BFF’s told me I should write a piece about makeup for “cougars.” I thought she was being funny, but she was dead serious. She (like me) prefers her “fellas” a tad younger than her 50 years. I’m not talking robbing the cradle, but considering statistics that women out live men, having a man a few years younger just makes sense.
Back to makeup. So Cougar Makeup. I first had to define a cougar and I just came up with a women who seeks out men substantially younger than herself. A few famous cougars came to mind…
Cougar Halle Berry
She’s hot, what more can I say.
And then there is Cougar Mariah Carey
Now, for cougar makeup. Make a note — both Halle and Mariah adopt at less-is-more attitude with their makeup. When you enter your 40’s and 50’s its time to lighten up with your makeup. Skin should look smooth and dewy. Brighten up cheeks with color and give eyes a defined yet bright look.
Cougar Makeup How-to in 5 Steps
1. Get Glowing! Use a sheer foundation or tinted moisturizer. Give up on heavy foundation and powder — they tend to settle into fine lines, inperfections and typically age “cougar” skin. Skin needs to show through with a glow. Choose products that give you coverage and glow in one fell swoop.
2. Get Covered! Conceal undereye circles. Use a concealer that does not settle into lines and that illuminates.
3. Get Cheeky! As we age we need to add color for vibrancy, life — to brighten our faces. When you wear blush, your overall appearance is lifted, and so is your face! Bring your blush up higher on the face, almost into the temple to bring attention to the eyes. And guess what? When you add that touch of blush, you add sparkle to your eyes as well.
4. Say Eye Do! Define your eyes. Try a basic palette of color that is provides liner, subtle lid color and highlight. Invest in a palette of brown/bronze colors for everyday use. Whether Revlon or Bobbi Brown, a palette of at least three colors — light, medium an ddark — will become your daily go-to. Apply a few coats of mascara on upper lashes only. Lose the harsh eyeliner for everyday!
5. Lip Service! Every respectable cougar needs at least 4 lip products in her makeup arsenal — Nude lipstick and gloss, a perfect red lipstick and a luscious wine or rose in a sheer tint.
So there you have it — 5 steps to perfect Cougar Makeup. Get on the prowl girl! Grrrrrrr…….