One trend that’s here to stay is the smokey eye. And there are several variations of the traditional smokey eye — call it smoldering, sizzling. Today’s smokey eye can go from day to night — but you have to have a the right tools and the correct application methods to have the perfect smokey eye. I love Leona Lewis’ look at the 2009 AMA’s. Her look was more on the smoldering side. Not the punched-in-the-eye look of Avril Levigne but a luminous smokey eye. I love it. Leona wears it well, and so can you.
5 Steps to a Smoldering Smokey Eye
1. Line your upper and lower lashes with a creamy black pencil. On your top lid use short strokes on the lash line from the outside and work in. Lift the skin at the outer corner up and out. Line your bottom lid — inside the rim and between lashes. Use a cotton swab to smudge the line and clean any mistakes. Use Urban Decay 24/7 glide on pencil or Black Radiance Kohl Black Eyeliner Pencil.
2. Fold a tissue and hold it under your eye. Dip a small eye shadow brusy in a shimmery gray shadow; tap the handle to get rid of excess. Try Dior 5 Color Compact — Smokey design or Physicians Formula Wet/Dry shadow in Baked Smokes.
3. Starting at the outer corner of your eye, pat the shadow onto the lid — concentrating on depositing the color closest to the lash line. Blend color up to crease. Keep blending the shadow outward in a “wing” shape. Use a fuller head shadow brush for blending to eliminate any obvious lines.
4. Define by applying a deeper gray or sparkly black shadow in crease. Using a crease brush, dip brush into shadow and work from outside inward. Blend down toward lash line.
5. Clean fall out under your eye with makeup remover and apply lots of mascara.
A few tips:
- Start with an lid primer. Primers insure that your shadow stays in place and your don’t have that raccoon look at the end of the day or night.
- Tools: Try Sephora Brand Double Ended Smokey Eye Brush
- Try this smokey look with a deep jewel tone color for a change of pace. Try Bronze, Emerald or Navy.
- When you finish, take a step back from the mirror. If your shadow looks too dark or harsh, sweep some loose translucent powder over your lid. This will diffuse the color.
Foundation — A must with a smokey eye. Try a semi-matte finish like Benefit “hello flawless”
Concealer — Smokey eyes can magnify under eye darkness. Use Vapour Organic Beauty Illusionist Concealer
Blush up — a sheer pop of color with a light hand is the perfect match for your smokey eye. Try LORAC Baked Matte Satin Blush in Hollywood — a bronzed rose.
Lips: A nude lip balances a smokey eye. Try Black Opal Liquid Lipstick In Nude Scene.
Apply these tips for your perfect smokey eye!