It's a trend that's here to stay—the fishtail braid. Celebrities, brides and girls of all ages and women of all colors have been sporting the fishtail braid forcasual to elegant events. From red carpet to runway casual encounters, fishtail braids are a constant go-to for women who are au currant with their hair affairs.
No doubt the most memorable fishtail braid, and the one that started the trending frenzy was worn by Eve at the 2011 BET Awards. Side swept, with a deep bang on the forehead, Eve's shades of blond fishtail braid was on fyahhhh! Oh so fly, and incredibly beyond trendy, Eve's hair from over a year ago is still louder buzz than the performances of the evening.
Rihanna has rocked a fire engine red fishtail braid, while Jennifer Hudson has worn a sophisticated version on the red carpet. Songstresses Alicia Keys, Leona Lewis and Beyonce´ have all worn a side-swept fishtail braid on occasion.
Multi-colored fishtail braids and over-the-top mega fishtail braids have been hair du jour on the runway. Whether perfectly mussed or braided to perfection, fishtail braids will no doubt be on trend for seasons to come.
For those of us who are challenged with doing a basic pigtail, we can thank professionals who break down the basics of creating a fabulous fishtail braid. Mercedes Urquiza Parrilli of George the Salon in Chicago gives us step-by-step instructions on how to create a professional fishtail braid for everyday wear, date night or a red carpet affair.
1. Start with clean prepped hair. Hair can be round brushed or in your natural texture for a fishtail braid.
2. Decide where you would like to style your braid. Whether back, side or across the top of the head.
3. Section hair in two and begin on either side. I will begin on the left side. While holding one section in each hand, use your index and thumb take a small and thin section from the back of the left side and bring across to the front to the right section. Now, using your index and thumb take a small and thin section from the back of the right side and bring across to the front of the left section.
4. Repeat these steps until you want to stop your braid. Secure with a clear band.
5. Use precision and tension for a very clean polished fishtail braid or braid looser and a bit more casual for a messier fishtail braid.
6. Decide if you'd like to keep the braid down or put it up with bobby pins. Finish off with a few drops of Oi Oil from Davines for shine. Now you have a gorgeous creation.