Did you know:
Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
- Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.
- Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
- Ninety-two percent of women surveyed listed reducing domestic violence and sexual assault as their top concern.
- Domestic violence victims lose nearly 8 million days of paid work per year in the US alone—the equivalent of 32,000 full-time jobs.
- Based on reports from 10 countries, between 55 percent and 95 percent of women who had been physically abused by their partners had never contacted non-governmental organizations, shelters, or the police for help.
- The costs of intimate partner violence in the US alone exceed $5.8 billion per year: $4.1 billion are for direct medical and health care services, while productivity losses account for nearly $1.8 billion.
- Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.
The good news is it's not too late to help Mary Kay take a stand against Domestic Violence.
Through Mary Kay Inspiring Stories the company will support donations to domestic violence shelters nationwide. You can join the cause in three ways:
• View and share the films at www.marykayinspiringstories.com.
• Purchase a Limited-Edition Beauty that Counts™ Mary Kay® Creme Lipstick through December 15th. From every purchase of each aptly named “Give Joy,” “Give Hope,” and “Give Dreams” lipstick, $1 will be donated to the Mary Kay Foundation to assist efforts to end domestic violence http://www.marykay.com/content/company/csr_btc.aspx?ab=lghp_beautythatcounts
• Become a fan of Mary Kay at www.facebook.com/marykay: Mary Kay Inc. will donate $1 to the Mary Kay Foundation for every new Facebook fan– up to $1 million.