I used to think that buying a tube of Chanel lipstick was going all out on luxury for my lips. But no, uh-uh. Not anymore. Lipsticks are coming in with price tags that are really nuts. What are we paying for? I suppose it’s the status of that designer packaging, because no one really knows if you are wearing budget or prestige. Check out the latest and greatest pricey lipsticks.
1. Tom Ford Private Blend Lip Color $45 Niemarcus.com
Why it’s so pricey: Formulated with rare and exotic ingredients including soja seed extract, Brazilian murumuru butter and chamomilla flower oil, the luxurious formula has an ultra-creamy texture for an incredibly smooth application. Specially treated color pigments are blended to deliver pure color with just the right balance of luminosity.
My take: Well, judging from that ad, if I can get that kind of action, maybe it’s worth the price tag. But I still have questions. What kind of special treatment did those pigments get? A massage? Unless a ton of money drops in my lap tonight, this will be a no.
2. Cle de Peau Extra Rich Lipstick $60 Bergdorfgoodman.com
Why it’s so pricey: The first lipstick formulated with Vitamin A Acetate creates a creamy, rich texture that feels as though the lips are intensely moisturized with every application.
• Vitamin A Acetate: Helps to prevent and diminish lines and retain moisture, creating full, smooth-looking lips.
• Exclusive Transparent Red Powder: A special pigment with spherical powders emits a vibrant, translucent red color that retains its radiance without dulling.
• Baguette Diamond Shape: Achieves the precision and beautiful finish as if applied with a lip brush. Corners of baguette shape are designed to draw smooth, natural lines and fill in the corners and edges of the lips.
My take: Vitamin A, nothing new. Transparent red power? Hmmm, not so sure what that is. Sounds interesting. Baguette Diamond Shape? Gimme a break. This is some great marketing. How long will those corners last?
Oh, if $60 is too much for a Cle de Peau lipstick, they do have one priced at $55.
3. Sisely Paris Phyto-Lip Shine $50 Bergdorfgoodman.com
Why it’s so pricey: A formula with skincare benefits for plump, luscious lips.
The lightweight texture is both nutritive and gentle on the fragile lip area; it feels irresistibly soft, imperceptible and non-sticky.
Leaves lips perfectly moisturized, supple, smooth, and protected from external aggressions.
Available in ultra-luminous, luscious, fruity colors.
My take: They need to really step up the product description for my bucks. And I want my lips to be perceptible. Really, really perceptible.
Considering that I snagged a pair of Stuart Weitzman’s at Nordstrom rack for $50 I think I will reserve my precious dollars for pricey shoes at a sale price.
What about you? How much will you spend on a tube of lipstick? Do share!